Executive Editor, Politics
About the Role:
The New Statesman is recruiting an Executive Editor, Politics, to internationalise and expand the title’s award-winning political coverage
This is a unique opportunity: the Executive Editor, Politics, will report to the Editor-in-Chief and lead the development and execution of the New Statesman‘s political expansion strategy in Westminster and Holyrood.
· Working closely with the Political Editor, the successful candidate will build and then oversee a drastically expanded politics team, ensuring our coverage sets the agenda both domestically and internationally.
· They will be responsible for launching new formats including investigations, a political data journalism unit, and a news-gathering unit. They will coordinate with our growing international team too, to ensure that our political coverage engages audiences beyond the UK.
· The successful candidate will have extensive experience leading political and/or news teams at major media organisations
· Strong management experience, able to build and motivate teams in a highly competitive environment
· An exemplary contacts book, stocked with leading government figures but also new columnists and writers with fresh perspectives
· Experience with multimedia, newsletters, broadcast media and media strategy are all crucial to the role, as is experience with data journalism and data journalists
· The successful candidate must also be comfortable working with audience data and committed to using it to reach intelligent and engaged audiences – both in the UK and abroad.
Skills & experience
· Impeccable editorial judgement
. Strategic thinker; able to plan both short and long term
. Passionate about the New Statesman
. Commercially astute and able to work with commercial teams
Full time, permanent – Temporarily remote
To apply, please email a short critique of the New Statesman and a CV and covering letter to Recruitment@ns-mediagroup.com by 16 July