The New Statesman is looking for a front end designer with development skills to join our growing web team. The right candidate will have some experience – this is a midweight role – and be ready to work in a fast-paced and demanding environment. You will be expected to bring ideas to the table, as well as skills.
You will be working on the New Statesman, which attracts millions of users a month and shapes the political conversation.
The job will involve developing pages and features on the New Statesman websites and plugins (using Drupal) with the possibility of some work in WordPress. On a day to day basis, you will be working on the presentation of articles, giving input on how best to tell stories online. You may also be asked to work on page load optimisation features, features to enhance usability and website performance improvements. Understanding of Facebook, Twitter and Google APIs will also be useful, as will understanding HTML email templates.
This is a great opportunity for an enthusiastic individual looking to work in a multi-disciplinary team and extend their skill set. You can expect to work in an exciting and dynamic and forward thinking team, alongside journalists.
To be suitable for this job you must have the following skills:
- A good understanding of Web Standards based web design, responsive web design, and the ability to use jQuery.
- A good understanding of web typography, usability and conversion optimisation.
- 2+ years experience working in the industry
- Experience working on Drupal 6, 7 platforms
- Highly skilled at developing website functions, plugins and modules including widgets
- Thorough understanding of cross-browser compatibility issues
Good to have
- Knowledge of PHP frameworks (Zend framework, Symphony framework, CakePHP)
- HTML and CSS front-end development knowledge
Key attributes of the successful candidate
- Self-motivated, relationship-building individual
- Friendly and able to communicate at different levels
- Structured and thoughtful
- Great attention to detail
- Team player
If this sounds like the opportunity you’ve been waiting for, please send a CV and 3 samples of your work as attachments to india.bourke @ newstatesman.co.uk. Please also send one idea for how the New Statesman website’s performance and design could help it communicate its stories more clearly to its audience. This is a full-time role based in Blackfriars and the salary is dependent on experience. The closing date is 31 May.