1. Jewellers needed to ease gold bugs’ pain (Reuters)
Gold has a dual personality, writes Kevin Allison.
2. Yahoo! sheds another boss: Degree of pain (Schumpeter)
Critics of Yahoo! had hoped that when Scott Thompson took over the helm of the web giant in January, he would bring some badly needed stability to a business that had been struggling for years to turn itself around, writes Schumpeter.
3. Self-medication: When waiting is not an option (Babbage)
It takes eight years on average for a drug to receive approval from America’s Food and Drug Administration (FDA) after clinical trials have been successfully completed, writes Babbage.
4. Pricey Chesapeake medicine highlights its sickness (Reuters)
Pricey medicine can help, writes Christopher Swann and Robert Cyran.
5. JPMorgan’s trading mistakes: A billion here, a billion there (Schumpeter)
JP Morgan, widely considered the best run of all the large banks in America, if not the world, on May 10th provided the kind of news that has become all too common in the financial industry: a $2 billion charge for errant trades, writes Schumpeter.