The Events and Public Affairs Coordinator is responsible for working with the Events Team to deliver the New Statesman’s annual events programme. Events include but are not limited to; roundtables, fringes, public debates, breakfast briefings, conferences, awards, cultural events and partnership events with Latitude festival, Cambridge Literary festival and more.
You will liaise very closely on a day to day basis with the New Statesman Editorial and Sales Teams to ensure successful delivery of each event.
You will accurately interpret the event brief, research and advise topics for discussion/debate and recommend appropriate attendees/panellists at these events. You will prepare background information on the event to invite attendees including MPs, think tanks and industry leaders and prepare briefing documents in the lead up to the event. The role will also be responsible for accurate coordination including (and not limited to) contacting and securing industry figures, booking venues, travel, catering, budgets and managing the whole event proceedings.
It is paramount for candidates to have an extremely strong and rounded political, current affairs and cultural interest and knowledge.
Skills and Abilities
- The ability to write to an exceptional standard – formal letters, invitations, briefing documents, event blurb
- Extremely strong attention to detail
- Strong project management and communication skills with ability to take ownership of projects and forward plan to meet objectives
- A team player approach to issues, flexibility, enthusiasm, imagination, diplomacy and a ‘can do’ attitude
- Experience of and/or interest in Government, UK policymaking institutions, key industry bodies, think tanks, and sector organisations
- Experience of and/or interest A good understanding and interest in policy ideas and UK politics