Job vacancy: Creative Editor – New Statesman
The Creative Editor will be in charge of the design and production of the weekly New Statesman magazine, including design, cartoons, photographs, illustrations and page layout.
The successful applicant will be tasked with:
- Managing the art desk, including production and PDFing
- Liaising with the printers
- Managing the weekly art desk budget
- Commissioning cartoonists and illustrators where appropriate for the inside of the magazine
- Supporting the freelance designer with picture research for the cover when needed
- Liaising with section editors to product a magazine which is elegant and attractive
- Selecting photographs and negotiating with picture agencies to secure value for money on image contracts
- Overseeing page layout and design
- Advising on the design and look of the website
This challenging role demands a leader – someone who can manage a busy art desk with several members, both full and part-time. It is vital that the successful candidate can work with section editors to fulfil their briefs for the look and feel of the magazine; he or she should also regularly review the flatplan to ensure the pacing of the magazine is correct. The Creative Editor will oversee all the other employees involved in the production of the magazine, acting as their line manager.
It is also a hands-on role: you will be expected to pitch in with layouts where needed, mastering all the magazine’s templated pages. You will need to research pictures, call them in and place hi-res versions in good time to meet the production deadlines. You will need to make sure that the picture budget is kept to and keep clear records. The successful candidate will be adept at multi-tasking and juggling different tasks throughout the day.
Reporting to the Editor, this role will be five days per week, Monday to Friday, with a competitive salary depending on experience.
Please apply to deputy editor Helen Lewis on helen at newstatesman co uk, with the subject line “Creative Editor”. Your application should include a covering letter, CV and 200 words on your vision for the design, layout, illustration and photography of the New Statesman magazine. The deadline for applications is noon on Thursday, 11 December.