The New Statesman is recruiting a Deputy Political Editor to help lead our Westminster team and expand the title’s award-winning political coverage. This is an exciting opportunity for a talented and ambitious political journalist to make a real difference at a time of rapid growth for the title.
Working closely with the Senior Editor and Andrew Marr, the Political Editor, the successful candidate will play a pivotal role in our UK politics team.
They will be responsible for working across all our platforms, including podcasts, the website, the newsletter and the weekly print magazine. The role will focus on stylish writing and essential analysis, as well as breaking stories and generating a conversation around the title. They will be required to lead and inspire members of the politics team, ensuring the New Statesman’s award-winning Westminster coverage remains at the cutting edge and has impact across the political spectrum.
• We’re looking for a candidate with significant experience as a political journalist at a major media organisation.
• You must be comfortable on broadcast media, and able to represent the New Statesman at events as and when required.
• You should have a track-record of breaking stories, conducting interviews with senior politicians and public figures, as well as responding to events with sophisticated and pointed analysis.
• Management experience is preferable but not essential, but you must be able to motivate yourself and others in a competitive environment and work quickly under pressure.
• An exemplary contacts book is essential and should be stocked with leading government figures, as is an ability to generate excellent ideas each day.
• Experience with multimedia, newsletters and media strategy are preferable but not essential to the role, as is understanding of data journalism. Knowledge of the devolved administrations would be useful as well.
To apply please email email@example.com with your CV, a cover letter and a short critique of the New Statesman. Deadline for applications is April 8th.