Support 110 years of independent journalism.

  1. Politics
23 February 2011

Pay your way to your dream job

How much would you pay to get the job you want?

By Susannah Butter

The perverse trend of paying for work experience opportunities is not restricted to Britain and David Cameron’s and the Tories’ internship auction. Unemployed Americans are so desperate for work that they are offering cash rewards to anyone who will give them a job.

The job-hunting site Career Element confidently lays out three seemingly simple steps to gainful employment:

“Offer a reward, hire agents. Land your dream job.”

Career Element is based in Palo Alto, California, and launched in October 2010 to connect job-seeking clients with “agents”, who can be either professional recruiters or people who have heard about job openings.

Select and enter your email address Your new guide to the best writing on ideas, politics, books and culture each weekend - from the New Statesman. A quick and essential guide to domestic politics from the New Statesman's Westminster team. A weekly newsletter helping you understand the global economic slowdown. The New Statesman’s weekly environment email. Stay up to date with NS events, subscription offers & updates.
  • Administration / Office
  • Arts and Culture
  • Board Member
  • Business / Corporate Services
  • Client / Customer Services
  • Communications
  • Construction, Works, Engineering
  • Education, Curriculum and Teaching
  • Environment, Conservation and NRM
  • Facility / Grounds Management and Maintenance
  • Finance Management
  • Health - Medical and Nursing Management
  • HR, Training and Organisational Development
  • Information and Communications Technology
  • Information Services, Statistics, Records, Archives
  • Infrastructure Management - Transport, Utilities
  • Legal Officers and Practitioners
  • Librarians and Library Management
  • Management
  • Marketing
  • OH&S, Risk Management
  • Operations Management
  • Planning, Policy, Strategy
  • Printing, Design, Publishing, Web
  • Projects, Programs and Advisors
  • Property, Assets and Fleet Management
  • Public Relations and Media
  • Purchasing and Procurement
  • Quality Management
  • Science and Technical Research and Development
  • Security and Law Enforcement
  • Service Delivery
  • Sport and Recreation
  • Travel, Accommodation, Tourism
  • Wellbeing, Community / Social Services
Visit our privacy Policy for more information about our services, how New Statesman Media Group may use, process and share your personal data, including information on your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications.

There is no membership fee and it is easy to sign up, list your dream job and offer a cash “bounty”. Bounties currently on offer range from £10,000, for a position as a consultant with a suggested salary of $90,000, to the less tempting offer of $1 for a position as an information technology consultant, paying $65,000.

Content from our partners
How software will make or break sustainability
Sustainable finance can save us from the energy crisis – with the Luxembourg Stock Exchange
How trailblazers are using smart meters to make the move to net zero

If an agent helps a client get hired, they are rewarded with 87.5 per cent of the offered reward, and Career Element gets the remaining 12.5 per cent.

The rival company, which is two years old, charges $15 per listing per month. Time magazine reports that some 2,000 jobseekers have signed up to Meanwhile, Career Element has signed up 89 clients, one of whom has got a job.

Usually, job referral fees from headhunting and recruitment companies are paid by the employer. However, in the current economic climate where, according to a Gallup poll released on 11 February, 35 per cent of Americans felt unemployment was the biggest problem facing their country, it seems that people will stop at nothing to get the job they want.