The New Statesman is looking for an experienced, enthusiastic and talented Art Director for an initial six-month contract.
The ideal candidate will:
- Be comfortable working in a fast paced environment of a weekly magazine
- Have a keen eye for detail and drive for perfection
- Have the ability to work under pressure effectively on multiple projects
- Have experience of leading a team
- Have a interest in current affairs
We are looking for someone with experience of designing across multiple platforms, both in print magazines or newspapers and online. iPad design experience would be an advantage. You should be proficient in Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and Quark Express.
The art director is responsible for:
- Designing front cover on a weekly basis
- Designing and managing layouts and flat plans
- Managing the art team and retoucher
- Managing the art budget
- Art directing and managing special issues and projects
- Commissioning cartoons and illustrations
- Offering design support to other publications within the group
- Oversight of the New Statesman iPad app
Salary: competitive, dependent on experience.
How to apply
Please send a CV and covering letter to deputy editor Helen Lewis at helen at newstatesman.co.uk with the subject line “Art Director Application”. Please attach any supporting materials as low-res PDFs or include a link to your online portfolio. Alternatively, you can apply by post to Helen Lewis, New Statesman, 7 John Carpenter Street, EC4Y 0AN.
Please include a 300-word appraisal of the strengths and weaknesses of the design of the New Statesman magazine and website.
The deadline for applications is 1 August and the contract begins on 15 September.