Berlusconi gaffes: our top ten

A collection of quotes that make you wonder how the Italian premier survived so long.

Italy's Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi has announced that he will step down after a new stability package is approved in parliament. Over the course of his political career, he has come out with a string of gaffes and misguided jokes. We've picked our top ten -- feel free to share any we've left out in the comment box below.

1. On his love of Italy:

In a few months... I'm leaving this shitty country of which I'm sickened. (July 2011)

2. On women:

When asked if they would like to have sex with me, 30% of women said, 'Yes', while the other 70% replied, 'What, again?' (April 2011)

3. On the L'Aquila Earthquake victims:

Of course, their current lodgings are a bit temporary. But they should see it like a weekend of camping. (April 2009)

4. On how tough it is to be a billionaire:

I am without doubt the person who's been the most persecuted in the entire history of the world and the history of man. (October 2009)

5. On his own sexual abilities:

I only managed to do eight of them, I couldn't manage any more...You just can't get round to all of them. But this morning I feel great, I'm pleased with my stamina. (November 2009)

6. On Barack Obama:

Handsome, young and also suntanned. (November 2008)

7. On his personal sacrifice:

I am the Jesus Christ of politics...I am a patient victim, I put up with everyone, I sacrifice myself for everyone. (February 2006)

8. On his own record in office:

Only Napoleon did more than I have done. (February 2006)

9. On Mussolini:

Mussolini never killed anyone. Mussolini sent people on holiday in (internal) exile. (September 2004)

10. On balding:

I have little hair because my brain is so big it pushes the hair out. (2001)

Getty
Show Hide image

The section on climate change has already disappeared from the White House website

As soon as Trump was president, the page on climate change started showing an error message.

Melting sea ice, sad photographs of polar bears, scientists' warnings on the Guardian homepage. . . these days, it's hard to avoid the question of climate change. This mole's anxiety levels are rising faster than the sea (and that, unfortunately, is saying something).

But there is one place you can go for a bit of respite: the White House website.

Now that Donald Trump is president of the United States, we can all scroll through the online home of the highest office in the land without any niggling worries about that troublesome old man-made existential threat. That's because the minute that Trump finished his inauguration speech, the White House website's page about climate change went offline.

Here's what the page looked like on January 1st:

And here's what it looks like now that Donald Trump is president:

The perfect summary of Trump's attitude to global warming.

Now, the only references to climate on the website is Trump's promise to repeal "burdensome regulations on our energy industry", such as, er. . . the Climate Action Plan.

This mole tries to avoid dramatics, but really: are we all doomed?

I'm a mole, innit.