Opinionomics: must-read analysis and comment
Featuring Marx, bank runs, and an unusual type of job creation.
1. The Age of the Shadow Bank Run (New York Times)
Tyler Cowen writes about the return of the bank run to modern finance.
2. Supreme Court and the business of waiting in line (Washington Post WonkBlog)
Sara Kliff writes about a quirk caused by the most important Supreme Court case in a generation.
3. This disgraceful budget smacks of incompetence and cowardice (Guardian Comment is Free)
This budget, this government, "is a ship of fools with the deluded at the helm," writes Will Hutton
4. Marx, capitalists and the state (Stumbling and Mumbling)
Chris Dillow examines the phrase "the executive of the modern state is but a committee for managing the common affairs of the whole bourgeoisie".
5. When austerity is self-defeating (Slate Moneybox)
Matt Yglesias reports on a new paper all about austerity, and the failings thereof.