For more than a century, the New Statesman has been Britain’s leading weekly political and cultural magazine – offering everything from progressive ideas, to book reviews, essays and long reads, and insightful interviews. Led by our firm commitments to truth-telling and quality, we publish world-class journalism on the issues that matter most.
We are looking for a web developer to work with the New Statesman’s editorial and commercial departments in our London HQ.
The role will involve work on the back and front ends of our content management systems, as well as integrations with third-party services which manage access to our site for registered users and paying subscribers.
You will be a key connection between the newsroom and wider development and design teams from across the New Statesman’s parent group, helping shape the evolution of the newstatesman.com site and its broader digital strategy.
The ideal candidate will be enthusiastic about the New Statesman’s mission to inform and entertain its readers, and passionate about helping us to deliver a user experience to match the quality of our journalism
You will also be able to work with custom modules, views, integration of third party API’s, Paywall/Payment gateway integrations, Caching techniques (Redis/Varnish) Git and jQuery.
- Be responsible for development of new features and improvements within our CMS as well as integrations with third-party systems.
- Run tests to support our continuous deployment environment.
- Share knowledge of tools and techniques with the wider team and community, both developers and non-developers
- Have an understanding of the whole system and take responsibility for teaching this to others.
- Work with other designers, developers and project managers to understand what needs to be built.
- Find ways to improve system robustness, resilience and stability.
- Coordinate with other areas of the business to achieve the goals of the New Statesman, in particular delivering our journalism in a seamless and enjoyable way to our readers, and converting readers into registered users and paying subscribers.
All our developers should have:
- Experience of front-end development, with detailed knowledge JS, Drupal and associated web technologies/frameworks such as HTML and CSS.
- A systematic approach to solving problems.
- Experience developing progressively enhanced, responsive sites.
- Experience of modern development and deployment techniques, including continuous integration and continuous delivery.
- Experience working in agile environments.
- Enthusiasm for sharing knowledge and working in a multi-disciplinary team.
- The ability to quickly learn new languages and frameworks and willingness to pick the right tool for the job.
- Development process optimisation – Able to identify process optimisation opportunities with guidance and contribute to the implementation of proposed solutions.
- Service support – identifies, locates and competently fixes faults.
- Systems integration – defines the integration build. Able to coordinate build activities across systems and understands how to undertake and support integration testing activities.
You will be based in the New Statesman’s London newsroom, reporting to the managing and digital editors, you will work collaboratively with our developer team, based in London and India, under the overall supervision of our chief digital officer.
Please send a CV and covering letter explaining why you want to work at the New Statesman and how you meet our requirements to Jasper.Jackson@newstatesman.co.uk.