About the Role:
The New Statesman is looking for a talented and ambitious Comment Editor to join our growing online team and assist in the launch of a new comment vertical. This is a new position, and your focus will be on generating brilliant original comment on the issues affecting our time. You will commission on current affairs, politics, ideas, business, the culture wars and the arts.
· Work closely with the Senior Online Editor, Deputy Online Editor and Head of Digital to develop well-defined, intelligent comment coverage, identifying and attracting a roster of sharp, talented writers to do so
· Generate a constant flow of unmissable, daily commentary and reaction for the New Statesman’s soon-to-be-launched comment vertical. You will be expected to commission short (approx. 500-800 word) original articles daily, across a wide range of topics
· Write incisive, intelligent daily comment pieces to run alongside your commissioned writers
· Grow our digital audiences – and ultimately subscribers – by tapping into the subjects generating debate
· Work with our Audience Editor to respond to trends on social and search, ensuring our comment coverage reaches new audiences and collaborate with the print team to ensure our online comment complements – and at times informs – our magazine commissioning process.
· Collaborate with our audio-visual team to embed videos within our comment coverage, both on- and off-platform
Skills & Experience:
· At least 3 years of experience editing comment for an established newspaper, magazine or digital product
· Excellent grasp of and passion for current affairs, politics, business, culture and ideas.
· Digital publishing experience, including SEO, social strategy and a firm grasp of audience data (Google Analytics or Parse.ly preferable).
· Strong understanding of what comment works on social media; assist in maximising our presence on these channels
· Stellar commissioning and editing skills
· Politically open-minded, intellectually curious, and able to commission on both breaking stories and longer-term trends
· Ambitious and determined to grow the New Statesman’s digital audience as the title expands
· Hard working, flexible and available to respond to breaking developments outside of working hours
· Collegiate, keen to work with colleagues across the publication
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent.
To apply, please email a short critique of the New Statesman and a CV and covering letter to Recruitment@ns-mediagroup.com by Friday 30 July.