S D Shibulal: "There's no possession I couldn't do without"
Questions for the CEO of Infosys.
1. Sum up your leadership style in three words.
Lead by example.
2. What was your first paid job?
I was a computer engineer in a public sector organisation.
3. How would you define the role of the CEO?
To drive performance and innovation; strengthen governance and build trust; be the bridge between the organisation and the outside world and envision and shape the organisation's future in the long-term.
4. What's the best piece of advice you have ever received?
Take the tough decisions. It's ok if you make a mistake but you need to tackle and execute the tough decisions in time.
5. What has been your biggest achievement?
Becoming the CEO of Infosys.
6. Who is your business hero and why?
If I had to pick only one, the person I look up to most would be Mr. Narayana Murthy [founder of Infosys and the Chairman Emeritus], for his visionary leadership.
7. What should the government do to improve the UK business outlook?
Create an environment that is conducive for growth, local employment creation and investment at both a domestic and foreign level.
8. What is your biggest business challenge right now?
Addressing and managing the prevailing macro-economic uncertainty and the currency volatility.
9. What's your favourite restaurant?
Caperberry, in Bangalore.
10. What possession could you not do without?
None at all. However, I do depend on my calendar to maintain my schedule on a daily basis. I need either my iPhone or my iPad to access that.
11. Where is the most interesting place you have visited?
The Pyramids in Egypt.
13. How do you manage to balance work and home life?
I have a supportive family who help me to find the balance. I try to travel with them as much as possible and make the most of my time when I'm home. My favourite hobby at home is dismantling and reassembling electronic devices. I install all electronic equipment in the house myself.
15. When was the last time you were truly relaxed?
Last night when I went to sleep.
S. D. Shibulal is the chief executive officer of Infosys, a global IT services company based in India, with a turnover of $6.4 billion. Co-founded by N. R. Narayana Murthy and Shibulal in 1981 with $250, Infosys now employs 150,000 people in 29 countries across the world. In 2010 the Wall Street Journal named it the Most Admired Company in India, placing Infosys top of its Asia 200 list.
More from New Statesman
- Online writers:
- Steven Baxter
- Rowenna Davis
- David Allen Green
- Mehdi Hasan
- Nelson Jones
- Gavin Kelly
- Helen Lewis
- Laurie Penny
- The V Spot
- Alex Hern
- Martha Gill
- Alan White
- Samira Shackle
- Alex Andreou
- Nicky Woolf in America
- Bim Adewunmi
- Kate Mossman on pop
- Ryan Gilbey on Film
- Martin Robbins
- Rafael Behr
- Eleanor Margolis