We're hiring! Be a digital sub-editor on NewStatesman.com
The NS website is looking for an enthusiastic, web-savvy sub.
Digital sub-editor – newstatesman.com
The New Statesman is hiring a digital sub-editor, who will work on our website and digital editions.
This a full-time paid job based in our office in Blackfriars, with a salary to be determined depending on experience.
The successful candidate will be passionate and enthusiastic about how articles are presented, with a keen eye for an engaging headline. They will work primarily on newstatesman.com, subbing and uploading articles, writing SEO-friendly headlines and picture captions, as well as working on the New Statesman’s iPad app and Kindle editions. The position is a junior one on our expanding web desk, and would suit a sub-editor with some experience in online production.
The ideal candidate will:
- Have excellent editing and fact-checking skills
- Have a working knowledge of Search Engine Optimisation and writing headlines for the internet
- Demonstrate the ability to work efficiently and without errors in a fast-paced environment
- Have a background in sub-editing or production
- Be passionate about the detail of how articles are presented
- Be familiar with how to use a web content management system
- Have some experience with using photo-editing software
Please apply with a CV and a covering letter to Deputy Editor Helen Lewis on helen[at]newstatesman[dot]co[dot]uk by Monday 14 October at 5pm. As part of your covering letter, please include a 200-word outline of how you think the presentation of articles on newstatesman.com could be improved. Please do not include large attachments with your email.
NB Applications which do not follow this outline will not be considered. Please note that this is a production role, not a reporting or writing one.
Tags: New Statesman