Morning Call: pick of the papers
The ten must-read comment pieces from this morning's papers.
1. Who’ll be left standing when the Tories’ secret weapon goes bang? (Daily Telegraph)
Labour needs to up its game on immigration and welfare to see off Lynton Crosby’s threat, says Mary Riddell.
2. Real Conservatives cut spending before taxes (Times)
Bold Budget measures being urged on the Chancellor will lose money in the short term, writes Daniel Finkelstein. Ask Margaret Thatcher.
3. Why the euro crisis is not yet over (Financial Times)
If all members of the eurozone would rejoin happily today, they would be extreme masochists, says Martin Wolf.
4. How George Osborne is now being muzzled by his own watchdog (Daily Mail)
The OBR provides the lesson that top economists are no wiser in making predictions than the man next to you in the saloon bar, says Andrew Alexander.
A fair extension of the council tax would be easy, lucrative, progressive – and anathema to people like Balls and Cable, says Simon Jenkins.
6. Europe needs Cameron’s tough love (Financial Times)
Determination to reform the bloc is in the interests of the whole continent, writes Andrew Mitchell.
7. The price we will pay for dithering on energy (Daily Telegraph)
For a decade and more, Britain has failed to treat energy provision as a priority - and we are further from fixing the problem than ever, says a Telegraph editorial.
8. Hilary Mantel: bring up the royal bodies (Guardian)
The lecture was not an attack on the Duchess of Cambridge but a thoughtful and sympathetic reflection on royal woman down the ages, says a Guardian editorial.
As the world is getting more prosperous, the western share of wealth is declining, writes Ian Birell. It's a new world order and we must get used to it.
10. Think there's no alternative? Latin America has a few (Guardian)
Not only have leaders from Ecuador to Venezuela delivered huge social gains – they keep winning elections too, writes Seumas Milne.
More from New Statesman
- Online writers:
- Steven Baxter
- Rowenna Davis
- David Allen Green
- Mehdi Hasan
- Nelson Jones
- Gavin Kelly
- Helen Lewis
- Laurie Penny
- The V Spot
- Alex Hern
- Martha Gill
- Alan White
- Samira Shackle
- Alex Andreou
- Nicky Woolf in America
- Bim Adewunmi
- Kate Mossman on pop
- Ryan Gilbey on Film
- Martin Robbins
- Rafael Behr
- Eleanor Margolis