Morning Call: pick of the papers
The ten must-read comment pieces from this morning's papers.
The sheer power of modern Governors makes the Chancellor's decision momentous - which is why senior Lib Dems are so determined to have a say in it, writes Steve Richards.
2. On Trident, Miliband needs to be brave and jump ship (Guardian)
With the Tories and Lib Dems at odds over our cold-war nuclear defences, Labour has to forge a political third way, says Polly Toynbee.
3. An insidious threat to the right to know (Daily Mail)
The arrest of a Greek magazine editor for exposing allegations of tax dodging should alarm every democrat, says a Daily Mail editorial.
4. A day of judgment over the EU budget (Daily Telegraph)
The vote on the EU budget gives MPs a chance to follow in the steps of Margaret Thatcher, says Daniel Hannan.
5. Another good idea let down by neglect (Financial Times)
Reform of the police service is falling victim to an all too familiar sloppiness, writes Janan Ganesh.
6. Pilgrims’ Progress (Times) (£)
The Anglican tradition is a rich civic resource; a new Archbishop must not pit the Church against modernity, says a Times leader.
There's an urgent need for independent oversight of incidents of malpractice – and the Hillsborough panel could provide a model, writes Michael Mansfield.
8. Lebanon can heal divisions to deter Syria (Financial Times)
Assad’s attempt to exploit his neighbour’s divisions might have a unifying effect, writes David Gardner.
9. Dither and delay have put our forests at risk (Daily Telegraph)
The government is finally acting decisively against ash dieback disease, notes a Daily Telegraph editorial. Why not sooner?
10. John Prescott’s political survival is a miracle (Independent)
Despite his affair, incompetent policies and amateur boxing, the career of this former merchant navy seaman sails on, writes Dominic Lawson.
More from New Statesman
- Online writers:
- Steven Baxter
- Rowenna Davis
- David Allen Green
- Mehdi Hasan
- Nelson Jones
- Gavin Kelly
- Helen Lewis
- Laurie Penny
- The V Spot
- Alex Hern
- Martha Gill
- Alan White
- Samira Shackle
- Alex Andreou
- Nicky Woolf in America
- Bim Adewunmi
- Kate Mossman on pop
- Ryan Gilbey on Film
- Martin Robbins
- Rafael Behr
- Eleanor Margolis