1. What Export-Oriented America Means  (The American Interest)
A long-read from Tyler Cowen, covering how and why America could return to being a dominant exporter. Featuring robots.
2. Want to Bet on the 2012 Election? The CFTC Says No  (Bloomberg View)
Paula Dwyer reports on the ban from the US authorities on betting on the presidential election. No such rule here, where the odds are 3:1 for a Romney victory and evens for Obama.
3. Wall Street comes to Watton  (BBC News)
Robert Peston argues that the seemingly scammy way "asymmetric cap and collar" deals were sold to small business owners could be the next banking scandal.
4. 'Polluter pays' is the only principle that can limit aviation emissions  (Guardian)
The EU climate commissioner, Connie Hedegaard, lays out the case for incorporating aviation emissions into the cap-and-trade system.
5. US economy: A market on the move  (Financial Times)
The FT's lead opinion piece today suggests that we could be seeing a housing recovery in America.