1. How Detroit’s adapting to higher gas prices, in one chart  (Washington Post | Wonkblog)
Brad Plumer shows that, unlike in 2008, American car manufacturers are finally adapting to high oil prices.
2. The Downside to Longer Life  (Slate | Moneybox)
If we all live longer, pensions will become more expensive! Isn't that a tragedy? Well, no.
3. The Swiss boson  (Financial Times | alphaville)
"The Swiss boson is a hypothetical condition which is supposed to account for why the Swiss franc has ‘mass’ when all other neighbouring currencies don’t."
4. Any other Chancellor would be seeing the door by now  (Tax Research UK)
Richard Murphy asks why Osborne has handled the charity clampdown, the pasty tax and, well, everything so badly.
5. On tax avoidance, allow me to leap to the defence of the super-rich  (Guardian)
Nick Hytner, the director of the National Theatre, argues in favour of those "dodging" tax by giving to charity.