Is Osborne planning a surprise cut in income tax for the Budget?

A source suggests that Ed Balls's call for a temporary cut in the basic rate was designed to pre-empt Osborne's Budget rabbit.

Expectations for the Budget have been so downplayed that suspicion is growing in Westminster that George Osborne will pull some kind of rabbit out of the hat tomorrow. If so, could it be a surprise cut in income tax? Here's the theory one source put to me earlier.

Ed Balls, who always seeks to pre-empt Osborne's announcements (he called for a freeze in fuel duty before the Chancellor did just that in last December's Autumn Statement), proposed a temporary cut in the basic rate in his interview in last Saturday's Daily Telegraph. The shadow chancellor, who has previously called for a cut in VAT and the reintroduction of the 10p tax rate (a measure Osborne was considering before Labour's announcement), told the paper: 

Anything he can do to help low and middle-income families would be better than no tax cut at all. A Labour shadow chancellor says taxes should be cut. A Tory Chancellor says, 'Over my dead body.' I can't remember a situation like that in my lifetime. If George Osborne, in this Budget, were to cut the basic rate of tax, we would applaud him. If that's all he did, I would be concerned. But, even so, we would say, 'At last'.

My source suggested that Balls had either learned or guessed that Osborne was planning to cut income tax in the Budget. If the former, the question now is whether Osborne will go ahead with the move. After last year's disastrous decision to abolish the 50p rate, a 1p cut in the basic rate would be the perfect way to demonstrate that, as Tory MP Robert Halfon recently put it to me, the Tories believe in "tax cuts for the many, not just the few". 

Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne. Photograph: Getty Images.

George Eaton is political editor of the New Statesman.

Getty
Show Hide image

Lord Sainsbury pulls funding from Progress and other political causes

The longstanding Labour donor will no longer fund party political causes. 

Centrist Labour MPs face a funding gap for their ideas after the longstanding Labour donor Lord Sainsbury announced he will stop financing party political causes.

Sainsbury, who served as a New Labour minister and also donated to the Liberal Democrats, is instead concentrating on charitable causes. 

Lord Sainsbury funded the centrist organisation Progress, dubbed the “original Blairite pressure group”, which was founded in mid Nineties and provided the intellectual underpinnings of New Labour.

The former supermarket boss is understood to still fund Policy Network, an international thinktank headed by New Labour veteran Peter Mandelson.

He has also funded the Remain campaign group Britain Stronger in Europe. The latter reinvented itself as Open Britain after the Leave vote, and has campaigned for a softer Brexit. Its supporters include former Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg and Labour's Chuka Umunna, and it now relies on grassroots funding.

Sainsbury said he wished to “hand the baton on to a new generation of donors” who supported progressive politics. 

Progress director Richard Angell said: “Progress is extremely grateful to Lord Sainsbury for the funding he has provided for over two decades. We always knew it would not last forever.”

The organisation has raised a third of its funding target from other donors, but is now appealing for financial support from Labour supporters. Its aims include “stopping a hard-left take over” of the Labour party and “renewing the ideas of the centre-left”. 

Julia Rampen is the digital news editor of the New Statesman (previously editor of The Staggers, The New Statesman's online rolling politics blog). She has also been deputy editor at Mirror Money Online and has worked as a financial journalist for several trade magazines. 

0800 7318496