Show Hide image

Southern Daily Echo journalists call off further industrial action

NUJ calls off strike in hope that management will resolve pay issues.

Editorial staff at the Southern Daily Echo newspaper have withdrawn a second planned 48-hour strike over pay and pensions.

More than 40 staff members at the Newsquest-owned paper were due to strike on Tuesday and Wednesday after they first staged a protest on 9 and 10 November over a pay freeze and the closure of the final salary pension scheme.

The National Union of Journalists said that it called off the second strike hoping that the management would resolve issues over pay, which has been frozen since July 2008.

David Brine, NUJ representative at the Southern Daily Echo, said: "Last week's strike was a last resort after months of fruitless negotiations."

He added that members felt the need to give another chance to management before resorting to further action.

However, the paper's editor-in-chief Ian Murray said the previous strike had not affected the production of any of its newspapers.