Long-serving Daily Mirror journalist Anthony Harwood is leaving the company as Trinity Mirror seeks to cut 200 staff from its national titles.
Head of news Harwood has been with the Mirror for 17 years and has previously been a reporter and US editor.
As part of changes to integrate journalism across the Sunday Mirror, People and Daily Mirror - staff were today told that Chris Bucktin is being made head of content. Barry Rabbetts and Shiraz Lalani are to be the joint deputy heads of content.
In an email to staff, Daily Mirror editor Richard Wallace said: "I want to take this opportunity to thank Anthony for 17 years of great service to the paper...He has my very warmest wishes for the future."
Wallace added: "These continue to be very difficult days, but I am sincerely grateful for the dedication and professionalism everyone continues to show to the Daily Mirror."
A Mirror source told Press Gazette: "The reaction among the staff is utter disbelief and shock that such an experienced and hugely talented director of the news operation should be sacrificed to these swathing cuts."
Oliver Luft and Dominic Ponsford write for the Press Gazette