Show Hide image

The editor of The Oldie Richard Ingrams resigns – for being "too old" to attend a disciplinary hearing

The former Private Eye editor and founder of The Oldie resigns following a long-running dispute with the magazine's publisher.

Richard Ingrams, founder and editor of The Oldie, has resigned. Photo: Getty

 

Richard Ingrams, 76, who edited Private Eye for over 20 years, has stood down as editor of The OldieHe co-founded the magazine for the over-60s, which was established to "produce an antidote to youth culture", in 1992.

Ironically, his reason for resigning is because he considers himself "too old". To attend disciplinary meetings, that is. Ingrams has been in a long-running dispute with the magazine's publisher, James Pembroke, whom he describes as "impossible to work with".

Ingrams, who acknowledged that this story is something he'd once have relished at Private Eyecommented:

I had had a long-running dispute with him [Pembroke] about various things, culminating in his summoning me to this disciplinary hearing and saying if I was found guilty of misconduct I would be give a final written warning – in other words, threatened with the sack, really. I was hoping that we could discuss this yesterday [Thursday], but it transpired that Pembroke was determined to have this disciplinary hearing on Monday regardless. I was put in an impossible position, really.

The dispute involves a recent dip in the magazine's sales, as well as disagreements over its front covers. 

Here is a testimonial about The Oldie, from one of its better-known readers, Joan Bakewell:

Their trick is to make all this grumbling seem such fun.

But among its managers, it seems the fun has given way just to grumbling...

I'm a mole, innit.

Getty
Show Hide image

Lord Sainsbury pulls funding from Progress and other political causes

The longstanding Labour donor will no longer fund party political causes. 

Centrist Labour MPs face a funding gap for their ideas after the longstanding Labour donor Lord Sainsbury announced he will stop financing party political causes.

Sainsbury, who served as a New Labour minister and also donated to the Liberal Democrats, is instead concentrating on charitable causes. 

Lord Sainsbury funded the centrist organisation Progress, dubbed the “original Blairite pressure group”, which was founded in mid Nineties and provided the intellectual underpinnings of New Labour.

The former supermarket boss is understood to still fund Policy Network, an international thinktank headed by New Labour veteran Peter Mandelson.

He has also funded the Remain campaign group Britain Stronger in Europe. The latter reinvented itself as Open Britain after the Leave vote, and has campaigned for a softer Brexit. Its supporters include former Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg and Labour's Chuka Umunna, and it now relies on grassroots funding.

Sainsbury said he wished to “hand the baton on to a new generation of donors” who supported progressive politics. 

Progress director Richard Angell said: “Progress is extremely grateful to Lord Sainsbury for the funding he has provided for over two decades. We always knew it would not last forever.”

The organisation has raised a third of its funding target from other donors, but is now appealing for financial support from Labour supporters. Its aims include “stopping a hard-left take over” of the Labour party and “renewing the ideas of the centre-left”. 

Julia Rampen is the digital news editor of the New Statesman (previously editor of The Staggers, The New Statesman's online rolling politics blog). She has also been deputy editor at Mirror Money Online and has worked as a financial journalist for several trade magazines. 

0800 7318496