NoW's James Desborough released without charge

Former US editor, held on suspicion of phone-hacking, faces "no further action".

News of the World
The final edition of the News of the World, July 2011. Photograph: Getty Images

Former News of the World US editor James Desborough was today told he faces no further action in Scotland Yard's phone-hacking probe.

Desborough was held in August last year on suspicion of conspiring to intercept communications for the now defunct Sunday tabloid.

A Scotland Yard statement today said "On August 18, 2011, officers from Operation Weeting arrested a 39-year-old man in connection with phone hacking. He was today, Tuesday 27 March, released from bail with no further action."

Desborough is understood to be the third Operation Weeting suspect to be told he will not be charged since the investigation was launched in January last year.

To read more, visit Press Gazette.