Show Hide image

Rebecca Leighton hires Max Clifford to combat ‘poisonous’ media

Following her release from prison, the nurse accused of tampering saline solution has asked Max Clif

The woman accused of contaminating saline solution at Stockport Hospital has turned to the publicist Max Clifford in a bid to "get the truth out there and make sure everybody knows the truth of what has happened." Rebecca Leighton, of Heaviley in Stockport, was remanded in custody after being accused of causing criminal damage with intent to endanger life following an investigation which was launched in July upon the discovery of several "suspicious" deaths.

The investigation was triggered after it transpired that there had been a higher than normal rate of patients with low blood sugar levels and fears emerged that this could have been because the saline solution had been tampered and contaminated with insulin. The three patients that are publicly known to have died with low blood sugar levels in their system are Tracey Arden, 44, Arnold Lancaster, 71, and Derek Weaver, 83. Suspicion fell on Ms Leighton, who worked at the hospital as a nurse, and she was subsequently made to spend six weeks at HMP Styal. She was released last Friday, after the Crown Prosecution Service declared that there was insufficient evidence with which to charge her.

Upon her release, Ms Leighton lashed out at the media for the press coverage she has received since she was placed under arrest, arguing that she has been "poisoned by sections of the media" and that her life has become a "living hell." Speaking to BBC Radio Manchester, Mr Clifford explained why he had been hired by Ms Leighton: "She has been very badly criticised and written about by the media so I suppose it's natural that you would go to someone who understands the media to get that put right." He went on to say that Ms Leighton hoped he would be able to provide "the antidote to get rid of all that poison."

Meanwhile, the investigation into a possible tampering of the saline solution continues. So far, the police have spoken to 200 people that could have had access to the solution and they plan to speak to 500 more. In addition, the police are investigating four more suspicious cases but the names of the patients are yet to be revealed to the general public.