How to Configure SpeedStream 4200 or 4100 Router Without USB
1. If any one is looking for drivers for Speedstream 4200/41000 the suggestion is not to use the USB option for the Speedstream Modem. Instead get the Ethernet cable and use it with the Network Card.
2. How to set It UP:
Check if the Synchronization is present , Since it’s an ethernet modem, no need to install the modem to get the modem in synchronization. If the circuit is not in sync than t/s for sync issues
If circuit is in synchronization, make sure modem is connected to computer with ethernet cable.
Check if you are getting default gateway,192.168.254.254
If default gateway is present, put the default gateway in browser as you would do for any other router.
3. You should automatically get this screen, where you would need to enter user name and password. If this screen doesn’t appear automatically click on PPP on the left hand side menu to get this screen. After entering user name and password. Just click on save settings.
4. Once clicked on save settings on previous screen you need to enter the modem user name and password again on this screen. Enter user name and password as admin. Click on OK.
5. Once you get this screen it means the modem settings are saved, Just click on disconnect and reconnect to reboot the modem.
6. You can check if modem is connected to internet, by clicking on System summary (left hand side menu option below status and statistics). If you are getting IP address it means modem is connected to internet. Customer should be able to browse.
7. If you are not getting IP Address assigned than just check in WAN interface if any other configuration is set. If there is any other configuration is set than delete that configuration. There should be only one configuration set and that should be VC 0/38 (for UK may vary from country to country), and type should be PPPoA. These settings are picked automatically.
8. Some Troubleshooting Steps
Since we don’t get any error messages, woosh and test logons play an important part in this.
In case of default gateway not coming, ensure that LAN is enabled. If getting a default gateway of 169.254.X.X disable and enable LAN.
In some cases we find corrupt output for IP configuration, perform “ipconfig /release” and “ipconfig /renew” which should help. Also try doing a factory reset of the router.
Cases where a default gateway is different or blank then check if an IP address is not forced in TCP/IP properties and also ensure proxy is not set in Internet options>LAN settings.