In pictures: Sunday Times Rich list top 10
Record British wealth in 2012.
The Sunday Times has released its 2012 Rich List of the thousand wealthiest people in the UK - as of now. Despite the global and domestic economic slump, the combined wealth of Britain's richest amounts to £414 billion: over a third of the nation's debt. Compiled by Philip Beresford, the figures take into account the individuals' identifiable wealth and assets including property, land and other high-worth personal items - though exclude cash in the bank. Add those sums and Britain's Rich would undoubtedly appear Richer.
Rank 2012. (2011) Name / Worth / Rise or Fall / Source of wealth
1. (1) Lakshmi Mittal and family / £12,700m / (-) £4,814m / Source: Steel
2. (2) Alisher Usmanov / £12,315m / (-) £85m / Source: Mining, Investment
3. (3) Roman Abramovich / Worth £9,500m / (-) £800m / Source: Oil, Industry
4. (9) Gopi and Sri Hinduja / £8,600m / (+) £2,600m / Source: Industry, Finance
5. (6) Leonard Blavatnik / £7,580m / (+) £1,343m / Source: Industry
6. (5) Ernesto and Kirsty Bertarelli / £7,400m / (+) £530m / Source: Pharmaceuticals
7. (4) The Duke of Westminster, Gerald Grosvenor / £7,350m / (+) £350m / Source: Property
8. (8) David and Simon Reuben / £7,083m / (+) £907m / Source: Property, Internet
9. (7) John Fredriksen and family / £6,600m / (+) £400m / Source: Shipping, Oil services
10. (9) Galen Weston and family / £5,900m / (-) £100m / Source: Retailing