Staff writer, Progressive Media Data Project
Progressive Media, the parent company of the New Statesman, is launching a spin-off website.
We are looking for a staff writer for the project who can find stories in proprietary data and bring them to life for our readers. This role would suit a recent graduate or someone looking for their first or second job in journalism.
The right candidate will be:
- Highly numerate and not afraid of statistics
- Able to write clear, concise and engaging copy
- Interested in exploring and explaining how things work
- Comfortable with the idea of using data visualisation tools
Experience using web content management systems is preferred but not essential.
This role will be online-only, and will not involve writing for the New Statesman magazine or about Westminster politics.
If you are interested in applying, please send an email to email@example.com with the subject line “Data project – application”. Please include a covering letter detailing:
- A brief biography with any relevant experience, or a fuller CV if you prefer (as a PDF or Word document)
- 250 words on what data-driven stories you have enjoyed recently, and how the statistics and text elements worked together
Please do not include any other attachments (eg cuttings); everything should be in the body text of your email.
The deadline for applications is 12 noon on 6 May. The role is a paid full-time position based in our office in Blackfriars, reporting to the project’s editor, Jonn Elledge. Salary dependent on experience.