US Press: pick of the papers
The ten must-read opinion pieces from today's US papers.
1. GOP should pick Mitt Romney (Houston Chronicle)
The Republican primary race has descended into a bickering, bloody mess, accurately described by former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush and others as a circular firing squad. The Chroncile says: Stop the shooting.
2. Super PACs are ruining GOP (Politico)
Today is not Super Tuesday, argues Bill Schneider. It's super PAC Tuesday, and it's destroying the GOP.
3. How I would check Iran's nuclear ambition (Washington Post)
Mitt Romney describes how, as president, he would go further than Obama.
4. Limbaugh out of line - and apology was weak, too (San Francisco Chronicle)
Talk radio's Rush Limbaugh took civic discourse to a new low with his misogynistic belittling of Georgetown law student Sandra Fluke, says this editorial.
5. Rick Santorum Isn't Crazy (New York Times)
Whatever one thinks of the Republican presidential candidate's views on church and state, his opinion is not beyond the pale, writes Stanley Fish.
6. Natural electoral selection (Boston Globe) ($)
The natural selection that's occurring in the GOP race is pushing candidates into niches, says Farah Stockman -- but the nominee may have trouble attracting the mainstream.
7. Ultrasound in abortion should be a woman's choice (USA Today)
Decisions about legal medical procedures should be up to physicians and their patients, not state legislators.
8. US must expand, not suppress, voting rights (Chicago Sun Times)
According to Jesse Jackson, the current drive is the greatest insult to the Voting Rights Act since it was passed 47 years ago.
9. Romney in Ohio: Want College? Can't Afford It? Too Bad (New York Times)
David Firestone describes what modern Republican austerity looks like.
10. Girl Scouts evil? (Philadelphia Daily News)
The war on women - especially their contraceptive and reproductive rights - has entered a new, younger battleground, reports this leading article.
More from New Statesman
- Online writers:
- Steven Baxter
- Rowenna Davis
- David Allen Green
- Mehdi Hasan
- Nelson Jones
- Gavin Kelly
- Helen Lewis
- Laurie Penny
- The V Spot
- Alex Hern
- Martha Gill
- Alan White
- Samira Shackle
- Alex Andreou
- Nicky Woolf in America
- Bim Adewunmi
- Kate Mossman on pop
- Ryan Gilbey on Film
- Martin Robbins
- Rafael Behr
- Eleanor Margolis