US Press: pick of the papers
The ten must-read opinion pieces from today's US papers.
1. Natural Born Drillers (New York Times)
Republicans say gas would be cheap and jobs plentiful if we stopped protecting the environment and gave energy companies free rein. Krugman says: they're wrong.
2. Obama's oil flimflam (Washington Post)
Petroleum is passe; algae is in! Charles Krauthammer attacks the President's energy policy.
3. Bombing Syria risks making things worse (USA Today)
This leading article argues that the proper course is to methodically align the forces that will remove Assad while limiting the risks.
4. In defense of homeless hotspots (New York Daily News)
George McDonald argues that the new trend of "human wifi" is bringing invisible people into the light of society.
5. The death star of finance? (Boston Globe) ($)
Despite its easy-to-ridicule anguish at the "toxic and destructive'' culture at Goldman Sachs, a recent widely read New York Times piece makes a valid point, says this editorial.
6. Time for some sunlight on pensions (Houston Chronicle)
It's Sunshine week and Texans should be asking the tough questions about their retirement pot, says this editorial.
7. America's Real War on Women (Wall Street Journal) ($)
Some men think they can get away with vulgarity because they're on the "correct" side on social issues, writes Peggy Noonan; others tire of being bullied by the language police.
8. Romney feels Bill Clinton's pain (Chicago Tribune)
But will the struggling candidate have his luck? asks Eric Zorn.
9. How Not to Attract Tourists (International Herald Tribune)
Mark Vanhoenacker advises the government to take a tip from the American people and learn how to welcome foreign visitors in an open-hearted and practical way.
10. The GOP delegate math (Denver Post)
Eugene Robinson explains: If Rick Santorum wants to keep Mitt Romney from wrapping up the Republican nomination before the convention, he should encourage Newt Gingrich to stay in the race, not drop out.
More from New Statesman
- Online writers:
- Steven Baxter
- Rowenna Davis
- David Allen Green
- Mehdi Hasan
- Nelson Jones
- Gavin Kelly
- Helen Lewis
- Laurie Penny
- The V Spot
- Alex Hern
- Martha Gill
- Alan White
- Samira Shackle
- Alex Andreou
- Nicky Woolf in America
- Bim Adewunmi
- Kate Mossman on pop
- Ryan Gilbey on Film
- Martin Robbins
- Rafael Behr
- Eleanor Margolis