US Press: pick of the papers
The ten must-read opinion pieces from today's US papers.
1. Indefinite detention violates American values (San Francisco Chronicle)
Compromise is part of the political process, but the foundational principles of this nation should not be tendered as the cost of passing a bill about national defense, this editorial argues.
2. Can I vote for a Mormon? (Washington Post)
Ken Starr argues that the Constitution, not faith, matters.
3. My Baloney Has a First Name, It's M-I-T-T (Slate)
Will Newt Gingrich's attack on Mitt Romney's "pious baloney" change the New Hampshire race? John Dickerson discusses.
4. Holder's Texas Intrusion (Wall Street Journal) ($)
The Supreme Court will rule on a racial redistricting ploy. This review investigates.
5. Talking to the Taliban (Los Angeles Times)
As the insurgents say, the U.S. has the watches but the Taliban has the time. Rajan Menon writes about the "new phase in a long struggle".
6. Drug-testing proposal discriminates against poor (Detroit Free Press)
More than a decade after courts wisely rejected Michigan's efforts to drug-test welfare recipients, state legislators are considering a new version of this discriminatory practice, this editorial writes.
7. Can U.S. adjust to Islamist Mideast? (Politico)
William B. Quandt writes that whoever is president in 2013 will want to have good relations with Turkey and Egypt.
8. Just the Ticket (New York Times)
Why Hillary Clinton is the answer. Seriously, writes Bill Keller.
9. Republicans Versus Reproductive Rights (New York Times)
Voters should not be fooled. The assault on women's reproductive health is a central part of the Republican agenda, this editorial warns.
10. Why should Prop. 13 be sacrosanct? (Los Angeles Times)
According to Jim Newton, the core provisions of Proposition 13 remain weirdly off-limits to normal political debate. It's time for that to end.
More from New Statesman
- Online writers:
- Steven Baxter
- Rowenna Davis
- David Allen Green
- Mehdi Hasan
- Nelson Jones
- Gavin Kelly
- Helen Lewis
- Laurie Penny
- The V Spot
- Alex Hern
- Martha Gill
- Alan White
- Samira Shackle
- Alex Andreou
- Nicky Woolf in America
- Bim Adewunmi
- Kate Mossman on pop
- Ryan Gilbey on Film
- Martin Robbins
- Rafael Behr
- Eleanor Margolis