US Press: pick of the papers
The ten must-read opinion pieces from today's US papers.
1. Bain of His Existence (Slate)
GOP rivals level new and surprisingly devastating attacks on Romney's business record. John Dickerson discusses.
2. Guantánamo -- 10 years and counting (Miami Herald)
This editorial warns that Congress is moving backward in upholding civil liberties.
3. Will Independents Vote GOP In 2012? (Wall Street Journal) ($)
Survey data show it would be a mistake to assume that dissatisfaction with President Obama will translate into votes for GOP nominee. David Brady and Douglas Rivers investigate.
4. The power of super PACs (Washington Post)
This editorial looks at the power of super PACs and the dangerous fiction behind them.
5. Protecting Marine Protected Areas (Los Angeles Times)
This editorial writes that the state doesn't have nearly enough enforcement staff to ensure compliance, so various environmental groups are gearing up to watch over their local waters.
6. Where Are the Liberals? (New York Times)
All circumstances point to a golden age for liberalism. But the left is maxed out, David Brooks argues.
7. Ron Paul's social problem (San Francisco Chronicle)
This editorial argues that Ron Paul's opposition to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, as well as his criticism of Washington's war on drugs, has made him appealing to some voters who would otherwise never vote Republican.
8. The FCC, the Supreme Court and policing indecency (Los Angeles Times)
Punishing a broadcaster for inadvertent remarks over which it has no control makes no sense, this editorial states.
9. Please Hold the Cheese (New York Times)
The Republicans' double-debate weekend offered a vivid illustration of why Americans are so cynical about politicians, Frank Bruni writes.
10. Government employees' free speech on trial (Washington Times)
Mark Mix writes how the Supreme Court challenge strikes at the root of Big Labor's political clout.
More from New Statesman
- Online writers:
- Steven Baxter
- Rowenna Davis
- David Allen Green
- Mehdi Hasan
- Nelson Jones
- Gavin Kelly
- Helen Lewis
- Laurie Penny
- The V Spot
- Alex Hern
- Martha Gill
- Alan White
- Samira Shackle
- Alex Andreou
- Nicky Woolf in America
- Bim Adewunmi
- Kate Mossman on pop
- Ryan Gilbey on Film
- Martin Robbins
- Rafael Behr
- Eleanor Margolis