US Press: pick of the papers
The ten must-read opinion pieces from today's US papers.
1. Newt Gingrich and the revenge of the base (Washington Post)
E.J. Dionne Jr. on the fear and loathing of GOP establishmentarians toward Newt Gingrich.
2. Capitalism and the right to rise (Wall Street Journal)
In freedom lies the risk of failure. But in statism lies the certainty of stagnation, writes Jeb Bush.
3. Why mandated health insurance is unfair (Wall Street Journal)
John C. Goodman questions whether a mandate is a good idea.
4. Recession reveals cruelty and failure of 'welfare reform' (St. Louis Today)
The creeping pace of recovery from the recession of 2007-2009 continues to keep unemployment persistently high and inflict significant pain on people and families throughout the country, this Editorial argues.
5. Holding the line against mercury (Detroit Free Press)
So far, the Obama administration has held fast to its plan to enforce mercury limits on coal-burning power plants. That's a good - and long overdue - step, according to editorial staff at Detroit Free Press.
Robert J. Samuelson on the eclipse of Keynesian economics.
7. A clear winner (Chicago Tribune)
The GOP debates have been a boon, this Editorial argues.
8. Saving face (Slate)
Evgeny Morozov examines how Google, Facebook, and other tech companies hide behind "opt-in" policies.
9. Can you text 'draconian' while driving? (Washington Post)
Safety officials could lobby for what works, but they went for what satisfies, writes Dana Milbank.
10. A deliberative convention (Weekly Standard)
Once every three-quarters of a century or so, the delegates to an American political convention deliberate, and produce an impressive outcome. William Kristol thinks it could happen again in 2012.
More from New Statesman
- Online writers:
- Steven Baxter
- Rowenna Davis
- David Allen Green
- Mehdi Hasan
- Nelson Jones
- Gavin Kelly
- Helen Lewis
- Laurie Penny
- The V Spot
- Alex Hern
- Martha Gill
- Alan White
- Samira Shackle
- Alex Andreou
- Nicky Woolf in America
- Bim Adewunmi
- Kate Mossman on pop
- Ryan Gilbey on Film
- Martin Robbins
- Rafael Behr
- Eleanor Margolis