US Press: pick of the papers
The ten must-read opinion pieces from today's US papers.
1. The right of citizens to videotape the police (LA Times)
Prosecuting US citizens for videotaping the police is unconstitutional argues Jonathan Turley.
2. End Bonuses for Bankers (New York Times)
Nassim Nicholas Taleb has a solution for the problem of bankers who take risks that threaten the general public: Eliminate bonuses.
3. Which comes first - person or egg? (Boston Globe)
A referendum in Mississippi could confer the full rights of a human onto fertilized eggs, writes Joanna Weiss.
4. Keeping predators away from young athletes (Chicago Tribune)
Michele Weldon asks why sexual abuse crimes like those seen at Penn State University can't be stopped.
5. Legislature should rein in bullies, not license them (Detroit Free Press)
Michigan has an opportunity to take a constructive step against bullying, but first it must repeal a Senate of language approved bill according to this editorial.
6. The growing threat of Iran's nuclear program (Washington Post)
Iran's attempts to acquire nuclear weapons leave no time for complacency argue Stephen Rademaker and and Blaise Misztal.
7. How Berlusconi survived this long (Wall Street Journal)
Forget his love life, Il Cavaliere's true sin is his lack of resolve says Alberto Mingardi.
8. As the Republican race turns (Denver Post)
Mike Littwin weighs up the impact of the sexual harassment allegations levelled at Herman Cain.
9. Really, there are only two treatments for insomnia: lobotomy and death (The Plain Dealer)
Amy Goldman Koss offers her reaction to a recent study which revealed 23 per cent of American workers suffer from the sleeping disorder.
10. Wall Street lessons not learned (St Petersburg Times)
Wall Street has failed to learn the lesson from the financial meltdown of 2008, outlined in this editorial, that strong regulation is the key to healthy markets.
More from New Statesman
- Online writers:
- Steven Baxter
- Rowenna Davis
- David Allen Green
- Mehdi Hasan
- Nelson Jones
- Gavin Kelly
- Helen Lewis
- Laurie Penny
- The V Spot
- Alex Hern
- Martha Gill
- Alan White
- Samira Shackle
- Alex Andreou
- Nicky Woolf in America
- Bim Adewunmi
- Kate Mossman on pop
- Ryan Gilbey on Film
- Martin Robbins
- Rafael Behr
- Eleanor Margolis