US Press: pick of the papers
The ten must-read opinion pieces from today's US papers.
1. School lunch policy: Let them eat crud (Chicago Tribune)
Mary Sanchez thinks that if anyone needs more evidence that Congress is working on behalf of lobbyists, this school-lunch charade is it.
2. Occupy our consciences (Washington Post)
We must acknowledge that the Occupy movement has accomplished things that the more established left didn't, writes E.J. Dione Jr.
3. Fixing Medicare (New York Times)
Its problems are profound, admits this editorial -- but beware of anyone promising quick fixes.
4. Newt 2.0 still has faults of Newt 1.0 (Politico)
Martin Frost writes: "I wouldn't vote for Gingrich, but I do have an appreciation for his strengths and weaknesses."
5. To stop the slaughter (New York Post)
The United Nations must act now to stop civilian deaths in Syria implores Amir Taheri.
6. Apple's American job disaster (Philadelphia Inquirer)
Manufacture of its products meant good-paying jobs in the U.S. But a move to China took them away, point out Donald L. Barlett and James B. Steele.
7. How China Can Defeat America (New York Times
China's growing influence over the global economy means increasing competition with the United States is inevitable, a theme which is explored in this editorial.
8. Rising from the pack, Gingrich invites scrutiny (USA Today)
In light of Newt Gingrich's increasing popularity, Susan Page places the GOP candidate under close examination.
9. IRS should review Scientology tax-exempt status (St Petersburg Times)
The Church of Scientology's coercive funding methods warrant investigation by the Internal Revenue Service according to this editorial.
10. For children's sake, don't just slash Medicaid (Denver Post)
Jim Shmerling warns cuts to the Medicaid health programme will disproportinally harm the young.
More from New Statesman
- Online writers:
- Steven Baxter
- Rowenna Davis
- David Allen Green
- Mehdi Hasan
- Nelson Jones
- Gavin Kelly
- Helen Lewis
- Laurie Penny
- The V Spot
- Alex Hern
- Martha Gill
- Alan White
- Samira Shackle
- Alex Andreou
- Nicky Woolf in America
- Bim Adewunmi
- Kate Mossman on pop
- Ryan Gilbey on Film
- Martin Robbins
- Rafael Behr
- Eleanor Margolis