US Press: pick of the papers
The ten must-read opinion pieces from today's US papers.
1. The Bachmann Chronicles (New York Times)
Gail Collins writes that after a few thousand darts, Michele Bachmann may have hit a bull's-eye: Rick Perry and that HPV vaccine.
2. Bachmann's bogus case against Perry (Chicago Tribune)
Rick Perry was overzealous in combating a real danger, says Steve Chapman. Michele Bachmann is overzealous in hyping phony ones.
3. Republicans' underhanded serve (Washington Post)
Dana Millbank notes that the politics of debt-skirmishing are working for the Republicans.
4. Declaring war forever (Boston Globe)
If we learned anything in 10 years, says Sabin Willett, it is that Guantanamo is easy to fill, and very hard to empty. But full is how politicians want it.
5. With 2012 elections looming, word clouds tell the story (Denver Post)
Ruth Marcus discusses the "word clouds" which illustrate the challenges ahead for both sides.
6. To fight crime, focus on the mob, not the medium (USA Today)
This editorial asks why social media would be OK in Cairo but not in Cleveland.
7. America the poor (Los Angeles Times)
This editorial discusses a new Census Bureau report that shows the extent of hard times, and just how vital a tattered safety net has become.
8. Blame Weiner for Democratic defeat in New York? (Boston Globe)
The election of Republican Bob Turner to the New York House seat formerly occupied by Anthony Weiner offers bad tidings for Democrats, says this editorial.
9. Want to stop tax gimmicks? Reform the code (Dallas Morning News)
This editorial suggests that loopholes offer the latest evidence of the need for a fairer, flatter and simpler tax code for individuals and corporations.
10. Yes to Palestine (Los Angeles Times)
Reza Aslan argues that the U.S. should not veto or vote against efforts to have the U.N. recognize a Palestinian state.
More from New Statesman
- Online writers:
- Steven Baxter
- Rowenna Davis
- David Allen Green
- Mehdi Hasan
- Nelson Jones
- Gavin Kelly
- Helen Lewis
- Laurie Penny
- The V Spot
- Alex Hern
- Martha Gill
- Alan White
- Samira Shackle
- Alex Andreou
- Nicky Woolf in America
- Bim Adewunmi
- Kate Mossman on pop
- Ryan Gilbey on Film
- Martin Robbins
- Rafael Behr
- Eleanor Margolis