US Press: pick of the papers
The ten must-read opinion pieces from today's US papers.
1. Obama sends "circus" packing (Denver Post)
The president tells Congress to get busy on ideas that have had universal support as the jobless can't wait for the next election, writes this praising editorial.
2. Lost in the Fog (New York Times)
This NYT editorial thinks the Republican candidates are offering no ideas on job creation, just ideological noise.
3. Finish the fight (Washington Post)
We defeated al-Qaeda. Let's end our state of war, says Eugene Robinson.
4. The wrong stimulus (Chicago Tribune)
Obama should champion tax reform -- which would raise revenue, not spending, argues this editorial.
5. Post-9/11 screening makes skies less unfriendly (USA Today)
TSA has had its share of missteps, but there's no question aviation security is better than in 2001, counters this editorial response to yesterday's article by Michael Boyd.
6. The Euro's Problems Are America's Too (Wall Street Journal)
Desmond Lachman explains how a Continental debt crisis could swing the 2012 election.
7. Good plan, good politics (Washington Post)
Harold Meyerson finds that Obama offers a smart proposal for the economy and a strong start to his re-election campaign.
8. We'll Never Get Over It, Nor Should We (Wall Street Journal)
Ten years later, Peggy Noonan remembers a day of horror and heroism.
9. The president pulls out all the stops on jobs (St. Louis Today)
This editorial lauds Barack Obama's almost preternatural confidence in his ability to move an audience with a speech.
10. Pearl Harbor and 9/11: A fleeting day of infamy (Los Angeles Times)
On Dec. 7, 1951, notes Jon Wiener, the Pearl Harbor anniversary was barely noted. Americans were told it was time to forget about what happened because the U.S. needed Japan's help to fight communism in Asia.
More from New Statesman
- Online writers:
- Steven Baxter
- Rowenna Davis
- David Allen Green
- Mehdi Hasan
- Nelson Jones
- Gavin Kelly
- Helen Lewis
- Laurie Penny
- The V Spot
- Alex Hern
- Martha Gill
- Alan White
- Samira Shackle
- Alex Andreou
- Nicky Woolf in America
- Bim Adewunmi
- Kate Mossman on pop
- Ryan Gilbey on Film
- Martin Robbins
- Rafael Behr
- Eleanor Margolis