1. Clegg must make a Left turn to save the Lib Dems from disaster (Daily Telegraph)
The party’s voters won’t allow a deal with the Tories in 2015 – it’s time to make eyes at Labour, says Mary Riddell.
2. Why exit is an option for Germany (Financial Times)
After another reminder of a miserable marriage, a separation might be better, writes Martin Wolf.
3. Council tax: the easy way to make mansion-dwellers pay (Guardian)
Adding further bands to this locally raised tax would be fair and effective, says Simon Jenkins. But our politicians lack the guts.
4. Talk to the Taleban or risk a messier Vietnam (Times) (£)
After November, America must offer a ceasefire and genuine negotiations, says Anatol Lieven. The alternative is savage civil war.
5. Has Mr Mitchell lost control of his fate? (Daily Mail)
It is the damage-limitation exercise that threatens to cause more damage than the original offence, says a Daily Mail editorial.
6. Modern conservatives make plebs of us all (Financial Times)
We have a self-serving echelon that believes in nothing except itself, writes Philip Bond.
7. Can Clegg exploit the gap in the market? (Independent)
The task for today is to be the voice of moderation, to appeal to the thoughtful centrist, writes Mary Ann Sieghart.
The Lib Dems play at opposition while driving through austerity, writes Seumas Milne. Pressure for an alternative must come from outside
9. Let’s break up BAE – or sell it to the US (Daily Telegraph)
The proposed merger with EADS threatens to undermine Britain’s industry and security, writes Bernard Jenkin.
10. Britain's aid promise must not be broken (Independent)
There is an obvious moral imperative, but we also act out of self-interest, says an Independent leader.