Morning Call: pick of the papers
The ten must-read comment pieces from this morning's papers.
The work ethic, sacrifice and sense of belonging of our athletes should remind our leaders there is a different Britain, says Jackie Ashley.
2. Reform by stealth is reason for optimism about China (Financial Times)
Recent political turmoil, including the Bo Xilai affair, put reactionary forces in the Communist party on the defensive, writes Eswar Prasad.
3. The poison of inequality was behind last summer's riots (Guardian)
A year on from the riots, the government is still failing to identify their underlying causes, write Richard Wilkinson and Kate Pickett.
4. London schools teach us a lesson (Financial Times)
The world’s school reformers should visit the Olympic city, says an FT leader.
5. Shouting at the rich won’t close the pay gap (Times) (£)
Globalisation is exaggerating inequality, writes DeAnne Julius. It will take more than protests to fix the problem
6. Why Kofi Annan had enough over Syria (Guardian)
The UN's special envoy and the Bric countries have got increasingly frustrated with the west's domineering consensus on Damascus, writes Jonathan Steele.
7. Anyone who now thinks Britain is too multicultural? (Independent)
The anti-immigration squad must have found Golden Saturday a bit awkward, says Yasmin Alibhai-Brown.
8. Will Howard lead the way for Cameron? (Daily Mail)
The former Tory leader could replace Lord Strathclyde as Leader of the House of Lords, says Andrew Pierce.
9. Boris grabs gold in Tory poll-vault (Sun)
The Mayor may have done Britain a service by finally setting ablaze David Cameron’s ambition to lead his party to victory, says Trevor Kavanagh.
10. More reasons to raise a cheer for London’s golden Games (Daily Telegraph)
We may only be at the half-way stage, but the warm Olympian glow is spreading far and wide, says Boris Johnson.
More from New Statesman
- Online writers:
- Steven Baxter
- Rowenna Davis
- David Allen Green
- Mehdi Hasan
- Nelson Jones
- Gavin Kelly
- Helen Lewis
- Laurie Penny
- The V Spot
- Alex Hern
- Martha Gill
- Alan White
- Samira Shackle
- Alex Andreou
- Nicky Woolf in America
- Bim Adewunmi
- Kate Mossman on pop
- Ryan Gilbey on Film
- Martin Robbins
- Rafael Behr
- Eleanor Margolis