Morning Call: pick of the papers
The ten must-read comment pieces from this morning's papers.
2. Spare a thought for the pupils who are destined only for failure (The Telegraph)
Politicians of all sides must share the blame for a system that leaves one in five without a job, writes Mary Riddell.
3. Assange will end up in Sweden – and quite right too (The Financial Times)
For all his highfalutin rhetoric, Julian Assange is no poster child for extradition reform – and Ecuador is no haven for free speech, writes Dominic Raab.
4. Fixing Britain's work ethic is not the answer to this economic mess (The Guardian)
It suits the Tory austerity narrative to blame 'idle' Britons for the recession rather than flaws in the modern labour market, writes Gaby Hinsliff.
5. George Galloway is anything but gorgeous (The Independent)
George Galloway is no stranger to opprobrium, but his remarks in support of Julian Assange represent a new low even for him, writes The Independent.
6. Julian Assange threatens to make the EU look good (The Telegraph)
The case against Europe’s extradition system is being hurt by the WikiLeaks founder's dissembling, writes Philip Johnston.
7. The housing crisis: a nightmare caused by our sanctified suburban dreams (The Guardian)
Freeing up 1% of the green belt could provide 300,000 homes. Time to lose our myopic nostalgia and send in the bulldozers, writes Ian Birrell
8. The critics carped but audiences loved Scott's action-packed movies (The Independent)
Even his detractors agree he was very slick. His technical mastery was never in doubt, writes Geoffrey Macnab
9. The able-bodied must face their anxiety about disability (The Guardian)
Humans are innately wary of difference, but events like the Paralympics can help the able-bodied to look past disability, writes Philippa Perry.
10. MPs must update our laws on life and death (The Independent)
More from New Statesman
- Online writers:
- Steven Baxter
- Rowenna Davis
- David Allen Green
- Mehdi Hasan
- Nelson Jones
- Gavin Kelly
- Helen Lewis
- Laurie Penny
- The V Spot
- Alex Hern
- Martha Gill
- Alan White
- Samira Shackle
- Alex Andreou
- Nicky Woolf in America
- Bim Adewunmi
- Kate Mossman on pop
- Ryan Gilbey on Film
- Martin Robbins
- Rafael Behr
- Eleanor Margolis