Morning Call: pick of the papers
The ten must-read comment pieces from this morning's papers.
1. Germany’s reticence to agree threatens European stability (Financial Times)
For the good of the eurozone, Germany must move from ‘can’t do’ mode, writes George Soros.
2. Cameron is showing how he'd rule without the Lib Dems (Guardian)
In calling for under-25s to lose housing benefit, the Tory leader is shoring up his rightwing credentials to appease his party faithful, says Jackie Ashley.
3. At last, Egypt’s Siamese twins will be separated (Times) (£)
The people have spoken — and rejected both the Muslim Brotherhood and the military, writes Amir Taheri.
4. Clegg's crazy plan is a pay day for has-beens and never-wozzers (Daily Telegraph)
Lib Dem proposals for elected 'senators’ will give the Upper House the upper hand, writes Boris Johnson.
5. Unlike LBJ, Obama battles frozen politics (Financial Times)
The major difference in 2012 is that America’s chief polarisation is between, not within, the parties, says Edward Luce.
Miliband’s mealy-mouthed “apology” contains no serious plans for controlling immigration, still less a cap on numbers, writes Trevor Kavanagh.
7. Immigration should be a debate about real jobs (Guardian)
Immigration is a divisive issue at whose heart heart lie tensions about security, low wages, and a nasty welfare system, writes John Harris.
8. The euro should now be put to the sword (Daily Telegraph)
The 19th crisis summit won’t achieve anything until it faces up to the EU’s economic deceit, writes Jeff Randall.
9. Banks must learn to reward the good risks (Guardian)
The finance world works against the manufacturing and innovation that we needs to rebuild our economies, says Mariana Mazzucato.
10. The violent prejudices of a dinosaur (Independent)
When I criticised him for playing xenophobia for laughs, Professor Starkey showed his claws, writes Laurie Penny.
More from New Statesman
- Online writers:
- Steven Baxter
- Rowenna Davis
- David Allen Green
- Mehdi Hasan
- Nelson Jones
- Gavin Kelly
- Helen Lewis
- Laurie Penny
- The V Spot
- Alex Hern
- Martha Gill
- Alan White
- Samira Shackle
- Alex Andreou
- Nicky Woolf in America
- Bim Adewunmi
- Kate Mossman on pop
- Ryan Gilbey on Film
- Martin Robbins
- Rafael Behr
- Eleanor Margolis