Enter your email address here to receive updates from the team.
Iran Watch, part 3.
Tags: Iran Watch Iran Nuclear Israel media
Mariella, you really need to get a grip. Your posts are utterly childish. You are aso such an inept propagandist for your cause: you invoke Rabin as a hero to you (he actually was) just when it suits you. Imagine, Marion/Mariella/Tonge admiring Rabin the Zionist!
Marion/Jenny, when are you going to launch a campaign 'FREE GAZA FROM HAMAS'?
Israel is running scared of Hizbollah and Iran. In 1992 Israel was trying to forge an alliance with Iran, but Iran refused. This iran has nuclear weapons nonsense has been going on since then. The main reason why Israel will not attack Iran is because Iran will fight back!!
By the way JJ, Tam Dalyel died some time ago.
In response to JJ>
WHy did an Israeli murder Rabin??
I agree absolutely with Maria. The location of the state of Israel has nothing to do with alleged origins of some mythical Jewish state some 2000 years ago. Indeed at the time Zionost political leaders were looking at establising a state in Uganda, Africa. Even if we accept that there was some sort of Jewish state in Palestine, the native Arabs preceded and lived on the land before, during and after this period. The only thing that Israel has given to the Arab world is bloodshed after bloodshed. Israel refuses to deal with the fact that it is a stae imposed on an Arab population. Even the British Mandate authorities at the time of the Balfour Declaration said that the establishment of a Jewish state should not prejudice the rights of the indigenous Arabs. Zionist leaders knew they would have to find a way to create mass panic in the Palestinian community, and that is what they did. As a result, some 850.000 Palestinians fled the country.
Mariella, Tam Dalyell (Apologies for misspelling his name before) is certainly not dead! Add your above assertion to the rubbish you put up here.
In response to JJ.
Could you answer one question: do you believe in the two state solution. If you do, perhaps you could persuade Israel to stop building illegal settlements on the West Bank. Rabin was indeed a man of peace, so why was he assassinated by an Israeli? People want to know.
"The Shia religion has existed for thousands of years"
That imply's a plural of thousands so at least 2...err Mohammad the false prophet was supposed to have existed around 620, and we in 2012 now, so err you do the maths...That puts Islam at is earliest at 1390 years ago approx. However the Jews celebrated there New year and are in the year 5772, much much older than
"I know of no part of the religion which calls upon Shias to attack Israel"
So the great intellect, the unbiased mind of Mariaosmella has spoken and it is her opinion over and above the factual transcripts I have posted that everyone should adhere too...LOL
1. Your the person who is spouting the lies, see above
2. I write and speak factually; the Islamic world demonises itself, nothing to do with me.
3. The truth hurts.
4. No, many people including me want a peaceful and amicable solution to the issue. 2 states, its the delegitimization and false testimony against Israel that is spread by the likes of Mariosmella and thus refuted by me et all.
5. You sound like you’re ready to explode, get ready to belt up for the 72 Virgins, BOOM!
Shimon Peres, was asked why Mordechai Vanunu, on his release from prison after eigteen years behind bars, had such draconian communication and travel restrictions placed upon him. He answered that Vanunu "might reveal MORE secrets". Since the only secret he had revealed was that Israel had nuclear weapons, this was an explicit admission that Israel possessed nuclear weapons. The so called 'nuclear ambiguity' is therefore long gone. Of course, this means that the USA must withdraw all support for Israel as a condition of its unbendable opposition to nuclear proliferation. This, however, is not something that is very likely to happen and to ask why would be 'anti-semetic'. So Israel, the state so comfortable in its own skin that it enters the Eurovision song contest, is the stable, established democracy that can be expected to be the rational player in whatever now unfolds in the Arab world. Does nobody see the terminally fatal flaw in this line of reasoning. Every nation surrounding this Disneyland of biblical Go Large, Mega Meals is a place of real people with real histories that have set their roots over millenia. They do not need nuclear weapons to either ensure or validate their presence. They do not have nuclear weapons. The huge danger is the paranoid, wannabe a country that feeds so pathologically on its own holocaust industry.
Mariella - you are being 100% hysterical in your hatred of Israel, defence of the Palestinians, and support for Iran...you are in fact a great recruting ssergeant..for all of us who see nuke-holding or nuke-building islamic nutjobs as a clear and present threat...
As a progressive person. Mariella - and remember, this is the New statesman, I:
Support democratic secular nations with gender equality, freedom of speech, freedom of expression.
In the Mid East, Israel is such a state...that does NOT mean that there should not be a free, viable, democratic, gender equal, Palestinian state too..I make no apology in supporting that, but Hamas/Islamic Jihad etc is only making things even worse for Palestinians, and hysterical people like you make the just Palestinian case appear crazy...
Perhaps you should section yourself, just for a few years? Until they find the right medication combination?
Support democratic secular nations with gender equality, freedom of speech, freedom of expression.
In the Mid East, Israel is such a state."
Israel sort of is and yet hardly a shining beacon to secualr democracy. and since you loathe nukes, what to make of Israel as they have plenty of them but fail to do the right thing? (i.e. admit they have them, sign up to NPT, allow inpsections etc etc)
israel might as well be a theocracy and as for their hatred of terrorism what about the king david hotel ?
1.I will leave readers of the NS to judge my mental state. If being passionate about upholding the rights of Palestinians, then I make no apology for my behaviour.
2. If you abhor nukes as I do then you would want to see Israel get rid of its nukes.
3. How can Israel be considered a democracy when it imprisons and suppresses on a whim the aspirations of some 7 million Palestinians iving in the West Bank and Gaza.
4. As for the red herring of Hamas. May I remind you that it was Israel that created and funded Hamas in order to stir up trouble with the the PLO.
5. I fail to understand how being passionate in support of the Palestinians makes me hysterical.
6. I am fully compos mentis and as long as havee breath in my body I will support the rights of all downtrodden people across the globe.
7. If being passionate makes me a madman, so be it.
8. Could we just get back to the argument. Israel has a nuclear weapon. Iran does not. That is a fact!!!
The justification that children, bigots, idiots and the disingenuous reach for first.
I do not need to isolate Israel. Its supporters on this page are doing this already!!!!!!
The idea that Israel is a sane democracy beggars belief. Since its creation Israel has done nothing but behave in a beligerent, bellicose manner towards its neighbours. With the full support of the US, Israel has been able to get away with approach since 1948. However no amount of nuclear weapons can take away from the fact that Israel must deal with the 4 million Palestinians living on the West Bank and Gaza. Bombing them into submission on a regular basis has not and will not work. The only reason why Israel believes it has a God given right to nuclear weapons is because it wants to dominate, subjugate and oppress the neighbouring Arab states. If any naiton should not have nuclear weapons it is Israel, as it seems to be the only country who does not want to recognise that it is part of the region.
Maria@17.08: while I agree that it is difficult reading all the posts here to get some context due to the sheer number of such posts, you have no right to take my posts out of context.
I was responding to Mariella who maniacally banged on about what Israel had contributed to the world - in her laughable words, nothing. I pointed out one example, Nobel Peace Prize winners. And the truth is that there are more from Israel because Arab states preferred to invest in battling with Israel rather than investing in Education or the sciences.
I could also mention the Arab patients who come to Israel from countries that do not have diplomatic relations with her and can't believe the brilliant treatment and care from Arabs and Jews alike.
So you go and turn it into an ethnic bunfest. Enough with your cheap propaganda.
@jankaas: I can see how you personally think that attacking Iran right now would be illegal but cowardice? Think about the retaliation from Hamas and Hizbullah.
In response to JJ:
1. Answer the question. Name me one specific example where Israel has contributed to world peace, human rights.
2. Re. Arab patients. So Israel treats Arab patients from other Arab countries but refuses to allow native Palestinians to go around their own areas, let alone seek medical assistance.
3. Israel regularly prevents Gazan from leaving the area to seek medical treatment.
From the time that Khomeini that barbaric liar returned to Iran, the floodgates of invective opened. Nazi like rhetoric of burning and drowning Israel. So when Hitler wrote Mein Kampf, people said 'forget it, he's just bluffing. Germany is a civilized country. He needs to get elected blah blah blah.
Well, Hitler didn't lie about what he had in store for anyone who was 'inferior' to the Master Race.
And now Iran's PressTV paid up defenders, want Israel to think that Shiite Iran is somehow benevolent and has peaceful intentions. Go on, keep denying what you know yourselves to be a lie.
Maria, if the Arabs had accepted the 1947 partition resolution the Palestinians would have had their own State by now. The Arabs tried wipe Israel out and were defeated.
Honestly, educate yourself about the Middle East conflict. Learn how the Jordanians used the headstones of Jews in the Old City as paving stones and how against all agreements they denied access to Jewish holy places. Since 1967 these places are free to all.
I mean, all holy places in Jerusalem are open to all, Muslims have freedom to worship unlike the Jews before 1967.
All this polemic and rhetoric is just so much inconsequential bollocks
The battle lines have been drawn
We are on the side of Israel, America and the free world and always will be
The loony lefty support of Islamic fundamentalism is nothing less than treachery
They hate Britain, its history and it's role as the mother of democracies
Mariella, name me one Arab country that has contributed to science and health as Israel has done. From computers to medicine. Go on, name me one Arab country. You lost this argument long ago.
I do not deny Arab achievements in these areas in previous centuries. OK?
Name me one country in the world surrounded by sworn enemies that allows citizens from those countries to receive medical treatment as Israel does.
Israel always sends rescuers to disaster areas. What do the Arabs do? Sit on their arses.
Where would the Arabs be without the oil, Mariella?
Now, the food is another matter:)
If the UK press does not do its job to educate the UK public about matters in the Middle East, that duty falls to me.
.......and Mehdi is an unreconstructed apologist for Islamic terrorists
Mariella - your posts DO show that you are quite hysterical and unbalanced, I'm afraid to say... extremist Israel-haters like you will never convince sensible progressives like me with those mad rants you do... I do think that - if your posts are genuine and you are really an individual called Mariella - you should seriously go to your GP for the sake of your psychiatric health..
Jankaas - I loathe nukes, including Israeli nukes, I would love to see a world without any of these immoral weapons..however, I do understand why Israel got their nukes, surrounded as they are by hostile countries who invaded them and said they wanted to destory their state... but I would love their nukes to be disarmed too if all nukes in the region (Pakistan, Iran etc) were similarly so..nuclear weapons are obscene and intrinsically immoral: agree?
Readers can make their own judgements. Everytime the Zionist lobby involves the madmen parallel, I know they are losing the argument.
1. AT no point in my submission have I said I hate Israelis. I loathe and despise the Israeli state which brutalises the Palestinians.
2. As for Muslims being allowed to pray freely. Only last week a Palestinian man was murdered by the Israeli army after leaving Friday prayers at the Al Aqsa Mosque. Indeed every Friday the Israeli army is there in force, throwing teargas at worshippers, finding the slightest provocation to justify their brute treatment. You may recall also that the Israeli army regularly blocks the entrance to the Al Aqsa Mosque, not to mention the numerous checkpoints that Palestinians have to go through to get to the Mosque. The idea of free religious worship is an abolsute myth!!!! The treatment of Arab Chrsitian worshippers in the town of Bethlehem is no better.
In response to JJ@
1. Arab scientists in the Middle Ages invented many of the medical treatments which are used in Modern Medicine during the Golden Period of Arab Science from the 8th to the 12 the Centry. This period is commonly referred to as the golden age of Arab science.
2. During this period, Arab scientists also made important discoveries in astronomy and opthamology.
3. Does Israel afford treatment to all Palestinians.
4. Arab gulf countries have donated millions of dollars to the relief efforts in Africa. Indeed gulf Arab countries are the largest chairty donors in the world.
5. Where would Israel be without the US or blackmailing the West.
The distinction must be obvious to a 4 year old but apparently eludes Mehdi 'non-Moslems live like animals' Hasan.
Israel has been repeatedly attacked by Arab armies who have sworn to annihilate it. The islamofascist regime in Tehran repeatedly threatens to annihilate the Israeli nation and calls Israel a cancer.
Israel is a nation of 7 million surrounded by 500 million Arabs and a total of 1billion moslems who would like them to disappear.
The need for nuclear deterrence is therefore obvious. You try to invade us and achieve a degree of success we will nuke each and every Arab population centre. Consequence - Arabs/Moslems may be less inclined to repeat the invasions of Israel that took place in 1947 and 1973.
1. nobody had threatened to annihilate the Iranian nation. They don't NEED nuclear weapons.
2. They are close to the Islamocrazies of Hamas and Hezbollah. They might just give them a dirty bomb.
3. They go around screaming'Death to America' Death to Israel' we are entitled to assume they mean it. They might just place a nuclear bomb in Los Angeles.
4. It is irresponsible in the extreme to permit this medieval savage islamist regime that's stones it's women to death and hangs Gays the means by which they can inflict massive genocide on their enemies.
Why are commenters discussing the Israel/ Palestinian issue as if it was somehow justifiable? Pretty much the whole world has condemned Israel for the cruel inhumane treatment of the Palestinian people. Surprisingly…even the BBC were happy to report parts of it (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-15556801)
Granted helping them isn't in our interest hence why we haven't done anything about it.. and probably never will… but we are more than happy to attack countries base on allegations, assumptions or our opinions… how nice and ermmm **peaceful**. It seems we instigate and promote more harm then we do good? **sigh**
Some highly mundane and somewhat uneducated comments written here though. Surprisingly some of you want to stop people insulting Israel yet are more than happy to unnecessarily insult Arabs and other surrounding countries etc and expect to be taken seriously.. oh dear.
And what's up with these silly 72 virgins comments… or the fact that the Islamic world demonises itself. If you actually look up the 72 virgins verses properly you will realise the Quran says no such thing… but wait obviously you know better than any Muslim right? Im assuming with your **ohh so superior** knowledge you know better than those **evil** Muslims. There are millions and millions of people living in the middle east who are not Muslim… by the definition of some of the commenters those people should not exist… because the Muslims should have killed them all by now… LOL
I mean seriously. I aint saying Muslim countries are perfect. But neither are any of our countries. To assume all Muslims or all Christians or every Jewish person is good, bad.. evil whatever is honestly rather pathetic and those that rally such garbage really need to grow up and get an education (not necessarily in that order).
Have a nice day
Three cheers for Funny Man. Now wait for the Zionist backlash!!!! I am used to it by now and am not deterred.
Try to imagine this scenario:
1. You are living in an area fo West London, say Hammersmith. Your family, your parents your great grand parents ahve lived in the area for hundreds of years.
2. One year some 50,000 eastenders from Stratford move into the area.
3. The Eastenders take up arms and eventually all of the residents of Hammersmith are forced to make way for the Eastenders.
4. Faced with a situation of forced expulsion from an area which you call home, WHAT WOULD YOU DO
5. The incoming eastenders who after a period of years now number 100,000.
6. They give you two options. Partition Hammersmith or leave the area completely.
7. That is the choice Palestinians has to face in 1948.
8. In the end close to a million Palestinians ledt the country and to this day have been unable to return.
Israel will not tolerate any Arab country having nukes. That is just not going to happen. Even the sorry excuse we have for a President said a few days ago "When Israel's security is threatened, we have your back" That's the way it is, and always will be.
I would just like to pose a simple question to Mehdi Hasan: do you approve of the savage human rights abuses committed by the Tehran regime -
the suppression of all opposition,
the persecution of christians,
their race hatred toward Jews their Holocaust
Their stoning of women to death
Their murder of Gays
The apartheid regime they impose on their Azeri population?
If not - why do you never condemn them in the same way that you obsessively harp on about democratic israel?
If you find the Iran regime acceptable how do you manage to keep your job on a supposedly left wing magazine? You ought to be working full time for MPAC.
@gerry "Mariella - you should seriously go to your GP for the sake of your psychiatric health"
You're a total asshole. Stop being a bigoted douchebag and learn some manners.
@Colin Flavin - "Iran is a democratic state, albeit a highly conflictual one. their constitution, democratically accepted, gives ultimate power to the religious leadership. hence the conflict but not undemocratic"
It was before Operation Ajax. It was a secular state of democratic socialism before we sank our vicious little claws into it in the 1950s.
We really owe it to the Iranian people to not screw them over a second time.
"There have been many horrible insults banded around on these forums..."
really? you don't say Julia. so when will you stop doing so?
btw would love to hear your view on that photo supplied by Sir M? seriously, what does something like that make you think as a parent yourself?
This was end Israeli Apartheid Week,
I honestly believe nuclear war in the Middle East is unavoidable. Because unlike the political conflict between East and West: in this conflict you have the potent mix of religious fanaticism and rabid anti-Semitism. This conflict will not end until the mushroom cloud dissipates.
Mehdi Hasan is a contributing writer for the New Statesman and the co-author of Ed: The Milibands and the Making of a Labour Leader. He was the New Statesman's senior editor (politics) from 2009-12.