Fact or Fiction: TwentyTwelve or 2012?
The Olympics are just one cock-up after the next. But are we in sitcom territory yet?
The path to the summer Olympics has been one of cock-up after cock-up. So much so that, just as Armando Iannucci must be finding it tricky to write the new series of The Thick of It, so the makers of TwentyTwelve, the BBC sitcom based around the many failings of the "Olympic Deliverence Agency", must be feeling rather prescient.
But are they? See if you can tell which of these are from 2012, and which are from TwentyTwelve:
1. A safe-sex ad campaign had to be dropped due to complaints from Catholic countries.
2. The Olympic torch was blown out in Great Torrington.
3. George Galloway announced he was planning to perform a citizens arrest on a Middle-Eastern dictator.
4. The interfaith worship centre was moved to a different building in the park after someone realised it didn't face Mecca.
5. A busload full of dignitaries gets lost on the way to the olympic stadium.
6. A naked man with "Free Tibet" on his bottom interrupted the torch relay.
7. Protestors dumped a pile of horse manure outside the organisers' offices in protest at the closure of Greenwich park for equestrianism.
8. An executive was shot in the foot testing a faulty starter pistol.
9. The Olympic Torch was blown out in Greece.
10. The official £5 Olympic Coin is sold for £40.
11. Until special laws were passed, the pistols used in the shooting events were illegal in Britain.
12. At the same time as Seb Coe launched "Diversity Day", Boris Johnson launched "Inclusivity Day".
Highlight for answers:
1. TwentyTwelve 2. 2012 3. 2012 4. TwentyTwelve 5. Both 6. 2012 7. TwentyTwelve 8. TwentyTwelve 9. 2012 10. 2012 11. 2012 12. Twenty Twelve
More from New Statesman
- Online writers:
- Steven Baxter
- Rowenna Davis
- David Allen Green
- Mehdi Hasan
- Nelson Jones
- Gavin Kelly
- Helen Lewis
- Laurie Penny
- The V Spot
- Alex Hern
- Martha Gill
- Alan White
- Samira Shackle
- Alex Andreou
- Nicky Woolf in America
- Bim Adewunmi
- Kate Mossman on pop
- Ryan Gilbey on Film
- Martin Robbins
- Rafael Behr
- Eleanor Margolis