Opinionomics | 26 May 2012
Must-read comment analysis. Featuring fiscal expansion and free banking contraction.
1. Why the political left should adopt the 'flat tax' (Independent)
Mary Dejevsky argues that Ed Miliband should support a flat tax, but neglects to mention the massive spending cuts that such a move would entail.
2. Fiscal policy can’t cure all Britain’s ills (Financial Times)
Chris Giles argues against the recent calls for expansionary fiscal policy...
3. Chris Giles: evidence based analysis, but not so the conclusions (Not the Treasury View)
...and Jonathan Portes argues against Chris Giles
4. This call to end free banking is an insult (Guardian)
Phillip Inman is not a massive fan of Andrew Bailey.
5. The weak demand for equal opportunity (Stumbling and Mumbling)
Chris Dillow argues that once there is some oppportunity, people don't value any extra very highly.