Week ahead: w/c 02 April
Pret a manger results come out, Getty images.
- A government Youth Contract goes live. The £1bn scheme is aimed at helping young people aged between 18-24 into employment and education, including apprenticeships and voluntary work experience placements
- Easyjet starts operating from a newly-developed London Southend Airport. The carrier expects to fly around 800,000 passengers in the first year to and from Southend.
- CBI & PwC Quarterly Financial Services Survey exploring business conditions, profitability, investment plans, employment prospects in the financial services sector, and prospects for the next three months
- BDO Industry Watch report reveals a widening gap in 2012 between those UK companies that take advantage of international and online growth opportunities and those dependent on the high street and cautious UK consumers, creating a two-speed economic recovery.
- The Lloyds Bank Wholesale Banking & Markets Business Barometer for March shows confidence about UK economic prospects surged 30 points - a nine-month high and the third month in a row that economic confidence has improved.
- Deloitte publishes its latest quarterly CFO Survey of Chief Financial Officers and Group Finance Directors of major UK companies.
- Takeover Panel deadline for the combined CVC and ValueAct Capital to either announce a firm intention to make an offer for Misys or announce that they do not intend to make an offer.
- British Chambers of Commerce Quarterly Economic Survey, the UK's largest private quarterly survey of businesses across the UK, Q1.
- Pret A Manger annual results.
- London Stock Exchange Group and LCH.Clearnet general meetings for shareholders to vote on LSE's proposed acquisition of a majority stake in LCH.Clearnet.
- Shop Price Index, giving an accurate picture of the inflation rate of 500 of the most commonly bought high street products bought in stores.
- SMMT Registration figures, detailing monthly new car registrations in the UK. March figures are expected to reveal the impact on sales of the new '12' UK Licence Plate Numbers.
- Halifax House Price Index.
- UK monthly industrial production figures.
- Large shops in England must from today remove all tobacco products and adverts from display.
More from New Statesman
- Online writers:
- Steven Baxter
- Rowenna Davis
- David Allen Green
- Mehdi Hasan
- Nelson Jones
- Gavin Kelly
- Helen Lewis
- Laurie Penny
- The V Spot
- Alex Hern
- Martha Gill
- Alan White
- Samira Shackle
- Alex Andreou
- Nicky Woolf in America
- Bim Adewunmi
- Kate Mossman on pop
- Ryan Gilbey on Film
- Martin Robbins
- Rafael Behr
- Eleanor Margolis