Voters approve of George Osborne's emergency Budget despite tough plans for an extra £40bn of spending cuts and tax rises, according to the first poll since the event.
A YouGov survey for the Sun found that 57 per cent of voters believe the Chancellor made the right decisions for Britain, with 23 per cent saying he had made the wrong decisions. There is majority support for eight of the nine major tax rises and spending cuts, with only the hike in VAT to 20 per cent disliked by voters -- 54 per cent oppose the rise, with 34 per cent in favour.
In a major boost for Osborne and David Cameron, support for the Conservatives has reached a post-election high of 42 per cent, up three points since the last poll. Support for Labour is unchanged at 34 per cent, while backing for the Liberal Democrats is down two points to 17 per cent -- their lowest level of support since the election.
If repeated at the election on a uniform swing, the latest figures would give the Tories a Commons majority of 12 seats.